Many new pictures, in fact, but I’ll have to figure out a way to post them in such a way that I don’t end up just dumping all these FOs out there with no context or notes. Maybe I’ll go through them slowly and post notes about each one as I go. I have all this stuff up in Ravelry, but of course there’s a limited audience there and you have to go searching.

So here’s the Greek Pullover. I picked this first because I really liked one of the photos I took. Notes are, for the most part, taken from when I first finished the sweater.

Description: Greek Pullover
Pattern: Interweave Knits, Fall 2005
Yarn used: Just about exactly 7 skeins of black Cherry Tree Hill Possum Worsted (70% superwash merino and 30% possum fur, “Nero,” 50g/109 yards, no lot number given)–had to start an 8th skein, but ended up unraveling the second row of single crochet around the neckline, so I probably could have gotten away with exactly 7 skeins. I bought the bag at their Labor Day 2006 sale for $45, therefore the total cost of this sweater was $31.50. Hey, not bad at all!
Needle size: Sizes 7 and 8, as recommended in pattern. The crochet edgings around the neck didn’t work (too loose and flappy on size G, and I didn’t have a size F hook) until I used a size 1 crochet hook.
Modifications: Worked smallest size for body and next smallest size for sleeves, and this seemed to work out fine. The ties are a bit longer than recommended as well. Did not add the chiffon ruffle at the hems. I lengthened the sleeves and body accordingly, to account for the lack of chiffon ruffle.
Finished size: See above. It fits very nicely, although the neckline is pretty wide, so I’d probably have to pin down my bra straps if I were wearing this against the skin.
Date started: 1/31/07
Date completed: 2/9/07. The knitting was done two days before this; finishing took two days.
Notes: I knit the back first, then the sleeves (at the same time–a very good idea), then the front, then the ties. There were a lot of ends to weave in! However, I actually didn’t mind this, or the seaming, as much as I thought I would, although I got off to a bad start when I sewed the side seam and found the back side about 1″ longer than the front. I picked out that seam and re-sewed, taking up the slack all along the seam, and it looked fine. Sewing in the sleeves was pretty nerve-wracking, too, because I was kind of fast and loose with sleeve cap and sleeve hole measurements, but it worked out perfectly. I should have left long tails to do the seaming, but didn’t think about it while I was in process. The sweater is pretty gorgeous, but I do think raglan sleeves probably look better on me than set-in sleeves. The possum yarn is buttery angora soft and luxurious, but I worry about the amount of shedding it does–will it look threadbare after a year?

Rahul said “It’s nice, but I’m not sure about this part,” and pointed to the main design feature, the ties under the bust. Ha ha!

I’m off to a good start if I do want to knit a sweater a month for 2007.

Here are the notes I took on my numbers:
Yarn Usage
Skein 1: Up to 3 rows after increases for back. (plus swatch)
Skein 2: Up back, to 18 rows into armhole (about 5″)
Skein 3: Last round of increases on the first sleeve
Skein 4: Row 6 after increases on the second sleeve
Skein 5: Finished sleeve, up to first increase round on front
Skein 6: Up into 15 rows of back (working straight section)–I think perhaps I meant to write “front” here?
Skein 7: Finishing

Numbers:
36 rows to get to 14″ on body
22 rows to get to 5.5″ in armholes
3 rows even after neck shaping on back
15 rows after last neck/arm decrease (end with WS row) on front

This is probably my favorite sweater. It wasn’t that interesting to knit, really, but it is incredibly useful as either a warm cozy sweater or a dressy sweater for winter formal occasions with a flowy shimmery skirt.

Thoughts on the pattern: Lots of flat knit stockinette is pretty boring. On the other hand, this pattern is pretty much one that requires knitting flat and seaming, since there’s a front and back flap on the bottom (I know there’s a more elegant way to say this, but it’s not coming to me at the moment), and since the bust ties are sewn into the side seams. I don’t know if you’d be able to get a good effect if you just pulled the tie into knitted-in-the-round fabric and tacked it down. On the other hand, upon further reflection, I bet you could mattress stitch together the end of the i-cord to some of the stitches on the side, or knit flat or 1×1 ribbed ties and do the same thing.

The edging is interesting. There’s a rolled edge of rev St st at the bottom, looking almost corded, and you pick up sts along the side openings and work in rev St st for a few rows, then cast off, to mirror the rolled bottom edge.

Greek Pullover

Advertisements