“Efrivararskegg” is the Icelandic word for “mustache,” apparently.

Why is that important?

Because today, I knit what might possibly be the pinnacle of my hat-knitting career. Behold the mustachey goodness, and sorry about the lousy overexposed self-portraits:

Pattern: Bearded Toque, by giftable, inspired by this bearded cap by Vik Prjónsdóttir

Yarn used: Lion Brand Wool-Ease in 152 Oxford Gray, double-stranded. I used about 1.5 skeins total. Machine washable, and I got it on sale for $2 a skein at Jo-Ann yesterday, plus a 10% off everything coupon. So this hat cost less than $4 to make!

Needles used: size 8 DPNs and 16″ circular

Date started: 2/17/08, 1:30 PM

Date finished: 2/17/08, 7 PM

Mods:Instead of knitting in the stitch 2 rows below as suggested for the increases, I knit in the front of the stitch below for KLL. Gauge was off: 3.5 sts per inch instead of 4.5, but it seems to fit fine at the given stitch count. I used the yarn double-stranded on size 8 needles, which made for a firm, thick fabric.

For the seed stitch part, I ignored most of the directions about shaping it and just knit about 1″ of seed stitch even after the hat was about 5.5″ from the crown, then (at 6.5″) bound off 20 sts at the front as specified. I did do the two k2tog decrease rounds and followed the rest of the face shaping instructions as specified, up until the part where you’re supposed to start shaping the beard. I bound off stitches at the back neck until there were 43 sts remaining at the front (20 sts + 3 soul patch sts + 20 sts), then bound off another 10 sts on either side using the sloped bindoff (leave 1 st unworked, turn, work 1 st, pass slipped st over worked st, BO remaining sts as usual). I worked back and forth on the beard for about 1.5″, then bound off 1 st at the beginning of the row for 2 rows, then bound off 2 sts at the beginning of each row until about 6 sts remained–bound off all of these at once.

I made the first example mustache, using ssk where applicable and using sl1-k2tog-psso as the double decrease at each end.

Notes: I made this for my boyfriend, who normally wears a ski mask when he rides his bike to school in the winter. He was curiously unappreciative when I presented it to him and said he would wear it on Halloween. I am hoping to get him to wear it when he bikes around town. I can’t believe he doesn’t find this hat as hilarious as I do.

I loved using Emily Ocker’s circular cast-on and knitting this hat from the top. When I had to have the victim try it on, I put some of the sts on my DPNs rather than on waste yarn–then I could just knit right off them when it came time to continue.

The fit around the neck is not great, kind of baggy–if I made it again, I might try adding some decreases around the back of the neck. For this hat, I may have to add a button and loop to gather in the extra fullness at the back. Also, the mustache seems sort of loose. I may have to reposition it.

I got this amazing Random Act of Kindness package this weekend from Raveler Zanna, who tried out Plymouth Boku and didn’t like it, noticed my rabid love for this yarn, and sent me the 4 skeins she didn’t want. And I think I may have been remiss in mentioning this before, but I also got a RAK recently from knottygnome, who sent me a copy of Rusted Root, which I may make with some of the red Cotlin I’m getting soon in a swap with Leigh.

I am sometimes just amazed by people’s generosity. If you’re reading this, Zanna and Sara, thank you, again!

So I made that bearded hat this weekend. I also sewed this needle roll out of two fat quarters:

The workmanship is absolutely shameful, but I love the color combo. The combo of these two prints, charcoal gray pinstripes and lime green vines and leaves, feels very modern and Scandinavian to me. (I wouldn’t really recommend anyone following what I did, because my work is all crooked and crazy, and has open seams in bizarre places, and the DPNs only barely fit in the case, so I’m not posting any specs for this project. It’s surprisingly hard to sew what should be a simple folded rectangle.)

I have some baby things I made to post about next time, but in the meantime, here are some beautiful photos of a beautiful Prismatic Scarf made by a Raveler named JellyJ. She used Malabrigo in Autumn Forest and I think her photos and finished scarf are just gorgeous–if I do say so myself.

Advertisements