So here I am, all ready to start my new hobby, owl macrame. (I’ll just have to take the “and” out of my blog title. Feather fan! Yeah!) Some of these guys are really pretty abstract… I’m sure I could do better. Maybe I’ll start off easy with a knitted Hansigurumi owl instead of jumping right into the macrame?
I need some top-notch supplies for my craft, right? Hemp and wooden beads are all good, but there’s nothing like some good merino yarn for owl-crafting. And early April seems to be a great month to shop for owl-crafting supplies.
Somebunnyslove helped by sending me this wonderful package for participating in her “guess the yarn” blogiversary contest. Thank you so much, Kimberly!
The goodies, as you can see, included a skein of beautiful handpainted Sunshine Yarns worsted in a blue-brown-white colorway, some Lindt mint truffles and truffle Hershey’s kisses that Rahul immediately pounced on, and some scented candles. I’m planning to work up a free sca–er, owl pattern for the yarn at some point, to spread the good karma. Mmmm, chocqua. And chocolate.
Here are some of the good owl supply sales I found today:
- The WEBS anniversary sale. Some yarns are on sale through April, some will be on sale during May only. But it’s an amazing list of bargains. Berroco Ultra Alpaca, Berroco Pure Merino Heather, Cascade 220, Cascade Eco Wool, Jo Sharp Silk Road DK Tweed, Plymouth Boku, RYC Cashsoft DK… the list goes on. Seriously, just go follow the link–these are really great yarns.
- Elann’s Soie Bambu was just posted. $28 for 680 yards of DK-weight silk/bamboo.
- Whitknits has a coupon good for 15% off anything in the store. You can use it once between now and April 14. Good stuff here, including several Noro yarns (new sock yarn included), Malabrigo worsted and lace, and Dream in Color Smooshy. Enter code FCS3 for the discount.
- The Naked Sheep posted a coupon code to the Knitter’s Review forums good for 20% off. Their site is a little hard to navigate, but they do carry Kureyon Sock and Handmaiden Sea Silk, among other things.
- Sonny and Shear have Cascade Venezia on closeout. I hadn’t really noticed it before, but the new LYS in town carries it and Leigh made a really nice Verity out of the apple green color, so it was on my radar. Cascade Cloud 9 and Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk DK are also on closeout.
- The Yarn and Fiber Company had been doing this sale called March Madness, where they put a different yarn line on sale every day. I thought the fun sales were over with the arrival of April, but no! It’s even better! They’ve put tons of great stuff on sale from now through April 4, including 40% off all Araucania yarns, some Debbie Bliss yarns, all Ella Rae yarns, all Jaeger yarns, many Rowan yarns, all Sublime yarns, and 25% off all RYC yarns.
- Little Knits has so many great sales at all times, I’m kind of immune to them by now, but I did notice they have Handmaiden Silk Cashmere on sale for 30% off. Camel Spin is on sale, too.
- Yarnzilla has all Rowan and RYC yarns 20-50% off right now.
- Sakonnet Purls/Letsknit.com has all sock yarns 15% off this week.
Today I also found a lolcat (along the lines of “INVISIBLE BIKE!”, of course) that is pretty much the best thing ever. It’s in a Flickr group called “philolsophers”: