I was interested to see today that Knit Picks is continuing their expansion into the cult classic yarns market with a knockoff of Rowan Kidsilk Haze called Aloft. $6.99 for a 25 g skein–about half the price of Kidsilk Crack. I wonder how it compares with Elann’s longtime contender, Silken Kydd? Or Artfibers Tsuki? Or Shibui Silk Cloud? (oops–edited table to add Lion Brand Silk Mohair, which I’d forgotten)
|All pre-packaged yarns weigh 25g||Rowan Kidsilk Haze||Elann Silken Kydd||Knit Picks Aloft||Artfibers Tsuki||Shibui Silk Cloud||LB Silk Mohair|
|Yardage||229 yds||232 yds||246 yds||n/a, sold by the yard||330 yds||231 yds|
|Super kid mohair specified in fiber content?||Y||Y||N||Y||Y||Y|
|Suggested gauge||18-24 sts/4”||18-24 sts/4”||Not specified||22 sts/4”||20 sts/4”||17 sts/4”|
|Suggested needles||US 3-8||US 2-6||Not specified||US 6||US 7||US 8|
|Colors||31 currently listed||7 currently in stock||15 currently listed||19 currently listed||13 currently listed||6 currently listed|
|Price||$14.95||$6.50||$6.99||n/a, sold by the yard||$17.00||$8.00|
|Price per yard||6.5 cents||2.8 cents||2.8 cents||4 cents undyed, 5 cents dyed||5.2 cents||3.5 cents|
- KSH has the best color selection but is also crazy expensive (in case you hadn’t noticed).
- Tsuki has a more limited color range, but is also the only one that offers hand-dyed multicolors
- Tsuki and Silk Cloud have the highest silk content, Aloft has the lowest
- Silk Cloud is sold in the highest-yardage putup
- I don’t think the suggested gauge or needles are significant–I’m sure these are all interchangeable
- I’m not sure if the lack of “super kid” designation on Aloft was intentional. Maybe it’s scratchier than the others?
- Silken Kydd is the cheapest per skein
- However, Silken Kydd and Aloft are the same price per yard
- Knit Picks offers free shipping for orders over $50, and shipping is pretty darn cheap even when you have to pay for it, so once you factor that in, it’s probably the cheapest choice by far… on the other hand, Shibui and KSH are sold through retailers instead of direct to consumer, so you have a better chance of finding random sales or discount codes than with the other yarns
- Silk Cloud seems the most expensive but is actually quite a bit cheaper than KSH once you look at the yardage
EDIT: Feb 22, KP confirmed that Aloft also uses super kid mohair!
Here are some projects I’ve made with
Honestly, though, I couldn’t tell you the difference between any of them unless I had them side by side.
I haven’t yet had the pleasure of a whole project with Silk Cloud, Lion Brand Silk Mohair, or, obviously, Aloft.
Next I hope Knit Picks comes out with a knockoff of Rowan Calmer!
Edited for full, FCC-compliant disclosure: after I wrote this post, the folks at Knit Picks kindly sent me 3 skeins of green Aloft yarn for free! (I didn’t know they were going to do that when I wrote it.)